Evening Time Trial Series
The Club Thursday evening Time Trial Series runs from April to August.
Riders compete for the overall Points Championship (male and female) and the Collard Shield (for most improved rider)
The club evening TT series is a great introduction to racing. It’s friendly and competitive but you don’t need a fancy bike or a pointy helmet to take part. Just come along and have fun.
- Check the Club Calendar for the location of each weeks race (April – August)
- To compete, sign on at least 15 minutes before the race, paying your entry fee (see below). Sign on for all courses is located near the start line.
- You will be given a start number; riders start in 1 minute intervals in number order. Rider number 1 starts at the advertised start time (typically 18:45)
- Each rider is held at the start so they can clip in their pedals. You will receive a 30 second warning, then a countdown from 10.
- Ride as fast as you can! It is important to familiarise yourself with the course in advance and course maps are available below
- Once every rider has finished results will be posted on a board
- All start times are 18:45 unless otherwise stated
- Sign on closes 15 minutes before start
|16th April||Sunday, 09:30||West Stow||10||Medium Gear.|
|20th April||Risby (1 lap)||8.5|
|11th May||West Stow||10|
|1st June||Higham 13.5||13.5|
|8th June||West Stow||10|
|15th June||Risby (1 lap)||8.5|
|22nd June||Livermere||5.5||Under 16’s Only|
|22nd June||Lavenham – course here||10||Interclub|
|29th June||West Stow||10||Two-up TT|
|2nd July||Sunday, 09:30||Risby||21||
|13th July||West Stow||10|
|27th July||Risby (1 lap)||8.5|
|17th August||Hawstead||Hill Climb|
- Dalham Hill Climb Google Map
- Hawstead Hill Climb Google Map / Strava Map
- Higham 10 Google Map / Strava Map
- Higham 15 Google Map / Strava Map
- Horringer 7.7 Google Map / Strava Map
- Horringer 10 Google Map / Strava Map
- Horringer 17.5 Google Map
- Livermere 5.5 Google Map / Strava Map
- Lt Welnetham 8.5 Google Map / Strava Map
- Risby 8.5 Google Map
- Risby 21 Google Map / Strava Map
- West Stow 10 Google Map / Strava Map
- All Club Time Trials are run under the rules and regulations of Cycling Time Trials as published in the current C.T.T. Handbook
- Proper hard shell helmets (that meets an internationally accepted safety standard) must be worn.
- For your own safety front and rear LED working lights are compulsory
- U-turns will not be permitted on courses or roads adjacent to Start and Finish areas while an event is in progress
- Any breaking of this Regulation in the first case may mean disqualification from the event. Further cases will be referred to the CTT District Committee.
- A U-turn is defined as 180 degree turn completed within the width of the carriageway whilst astride the machine.
- It is recommended that the rider(s) should dismount, check the road is clear in both directions, then with machine, walk across the road
- Hi-Vis jackets must be worn by marshalls and time keepers
- Any observations of riders not adhering to these rules must be made immediately to the Time Keeper or their Assistant before the times are announced at the end of the event
- Disturbing/distracting the finishing timekeeper will not be tolerated – asking what time you did will make your result magically disappear….
Entry fees for the club events are as follows:
- WSW Members Seniors: £4
- Juniors and Juveniles: Free (minimum age 12 yrs – Under 14s must be chaperoned)
- Guest riders from CTT affiliated clubs: £4.00
- Riders who are neither a West Suffolk Wheelers member or a member of a CTT affiliated club can have a single event club membership:£1 + £4 event entry fee
All club TT events count in the Points and Collard Shield competitions (including the Lavenham inter-club event, but excluding the West Stow two-up and the Dalham inter-club hill climb). Only your best 12 performances contribute to your final points total. Most club TTs are on Thursday evenings, but there are typically two Sunday morning events in the series.
Evening Points Competition
- The points are awarded for each event as follows:
- 30 points for 1st, 25 for 2nd, 22 for 3rd, 19 for 4th, 16 for 5th, 14 for 6th,
- 13 for 7th, down to 1 point for 19th.
- Where a non 1st claim rider appears in the finishing order above a West Suffolk Wheeler 1st claim rider , the following riders will move up one place.
- The Evening Points Trophy is awarded to the rider (male or female) with the greatest points total from their 12 best performances in the season.
- The highest placed female in this competition will receive the Millennium Trophy.
- The points are awarded for each event as follows:
- 1 Point for starting
- 2 Points more for finishing
- 3 Points more for personal best time ever on this course
- 3 points more for course record on our evening “10”courses
- Maximum score per event 9 points
- A rider competing on a course for the first time can only score a maximum of 6 points
- A member undertaking timekeeping/ marshalling or pushing off duties will receive 3 points. Your name and duty must appear on the start sheet to obtain these points.
- The Collard Shield is awarded to the rider (male or female) with the greatest points total from their 12 best performances in the season.
The annual Club Roller Racing Championship for the Rose Bowl Trophy. 2023 date to be confirmed
Eastern League Cyclo-Cross
The Eastern Cyclo Cross League (http://www.easterncross.org.uk/) runs from September to January, covering the counties Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire
West Suffolk Wheelers host a round of the series in November – click here for details
You’ll find plenty of Wheelers competing in the Eastern League, so why not go along to an event to see what it’s all about?
Suffolk Winter Cross-Country League
A monthly series of cross-country (running) races held across Suffolk from October to March. http://www.suffolkathletics.org.uk/
Races are held once a month from October to March at 11:00 on Sunday. The cost is £4 per person, payable on the day to the Team Captains. Junior races usually start at 10.45am and are free to enter.
Car sharing to the venue is organised from Club HQ on the morning of the race (keep an eye on social media for details) or just turn up at the venue in your West Suffolk Wheelers team kit. Find your Wheelers Team Captains, Darren Sharman & Hannah McInroy Naylor and pay £4 to enter. Hot drinks and cakes flow freely after the race!
So come along and try one, or join in them all.
|6th November 2022||Framlingham||5 Miles||Sports Club, Badingham Road||11:00|
|4th December 2022||Woodbridge||5 Miles||Sutton Village Hall||11:00|
|15th January 2023||Stowmarket||5 Miles||Haughley Park||11:00|
|12th February 2023||Bury||5 Miles||Pakenham||11:00|
|5th March 2023||Bungay Black Dog||5 Miles||Southwold||11:00|
|26th March 2023||Haverhill||5 Miles||Horseheath Racecourse||11:00|
Further details here: https://suffolkathletics.org.uk/suffolk-winter-league/
Lotus Cars Cycle Race League
A seven week series of closed circuit cycle races on the Lotus Cars test track at Hethel in Norfolk. Races are on Tuesday evenings during May and June.
Details here: http://norfolkcycleracing.org/lotus-calendar