Italy Training Camp
Sat 28 April to Sat 5 May 2018 – Hotel Riz, Viale G. Carducci, 182, 47042 Cesenatico FC, Italy
The 2018 training camp will be the club’s 12th visit to Hotel Riz (pronounced Ritz), and here’s why –
A good location with plenty of riding options, experienced Italian cycling guides, a comfortable hotel with very friendly and helpful staff, and last, but by no means least, fabulous local food. All in a package that provides unrivalled value for money. And it’s in Italy. A country and people that lift the spirits like no other.
Triathletes can also add swimming and running sessions to their programme. For swimming you can choose between the Adriatic or Cesenatico’s large municipal swimming pool, just a five minute walk from the Riz. For running there’s the sandy beach, the promenade or local park.
Visit the Hotel Riz website at : www.cyclinitaly.com/
Saturday: Minibus from Bury to Stansted airport. Coach transfer from Local airport to the Hotel Riz.
Saturday afternoon: Check the rental bikes that are waiting for us in the hotel garage and go for a short ride (stopping in at the local bike shop if any major modifications need to be done). Of course some members take their own bikes.
Sunday through to Friday: At 9.30am meet the local guides who will lead the rides. There are usually three ability groups. A stop for coffee midway through the four or five hour ride and then it’s back to the hotel by mid afternoon for a pasta buffet and cakes, followed by whatever takes your fancy – a walk on the beach, a visit to the hotel’s gym/spa, a massage or a siesta before dinner at 7 o’clock; which is eagerly awaited by one and all. The food is fabulous and so is the local wine which is served on-tap.
Saturday: A coach ride to the airport for the flight home. Minibus waiting for the return journey to Bury.
Triathletes: Triathletes can also get their swimming and running sessions in as Cesenatico has a large municipal swimming pool just a five minute walk from the Riz. For running you can choose the sandy beach, the promenade or local park.
Non-cyclists: Non-cycling partners are welcome and there’s plenty to see and do in Cesenatico. The coastal railway enables easy access to towns north and south. The hotel also lays on two or three days of guided walking tours inland, a day at Terme-Spa San Agnese, cooking courses with Mamma Luciana, Italian language courses, a trip to an outlet store for designer shoes, and as we are going in May, sunbeds on the beach. And of course no visit would be complete without a visit to Marco Pantani’s museum.
- Accommodation cost per person for the seven days is €425 (Euros), half board, which includes breakfast, post-ride pasta and cakes and dinner, including wine. The cost is based on two sharing a room and there is a supplement of €40 Euros for single occupancy. This very reasonable rate also includes cycling guides, laundry for cycling clothing, roadside assistance and sunbeds on the beach. Rooms are also available in the Villa Riz next door for an added surcharge (If you are interested I have a list of the charges).
- Bike hire costs are €24 Euros for a carbon frame.
- Airport transfersto and from Hotel Riz are about €50 Euros return.
- Minibus to and from UK airport. (Price TBC)
- Airfares which can vary depending on how early or late you book your flight.
A 5% discount is available for reservations made before 31st December
Regular trips to the UKs indoor velodromes are organised by the club. 2016 included day trips to the Olympic velodrome in Lea Valley and to the new velodrome in Derby. The highlight is an annual weekend trip to Southampton for two sessions on the thrilling 150m Calshot Velodrome.
Saturday 22nd – Sunday 23rd July 2017 – Calshot Velodrome, Calshot Spit, Fawley, Calshot, Southampton SO45 1BR
- Leave Bury St Edmunds on Saturday morning
- 4 hours track time
- 2 hours on Saturday afternoon
- 2 hours on Sunday morning
- Each session is run by an approved coach
- Accommodation at the on site B&B facility
- Full English breakfast on Sunday morning
- Views of the Solent and the Isle of Wight
- Group pub meal on Saturday evening
- Return to Bury Sunday afternoon
The weekend is intended for ALL members. We have a mixture of young and old, from beginners to the track to slightly more experienced track riders. This will be a fun weekend to experience the thrill of riding the velodrome!
The velodrome is based at Calshot Activity Centre, Calshot Spit, Southampton and has a cafe with licensed bar serving drinks, snacks and meals all at reasonable prices!
- Track hire: £20 per person
- Bike hire: adult £12, junior £8.50
- Shoe hire: £4 (Look Keo shoes only)
- B&B: adult £32, junior £14 (price per person – shared rooms)
The Dawn Raid, usually held in the long days of summer, leaves Club HQ at the crack of dawn and makes a hundred mile round trip to the coast for a hearty breakfast.
Sunday 30th July 05:45
Club HQ Shakers Lane, IP32 7BH to Riverside Tearooms, Orford, IP12 2NU
The Dawn Raid is our annual big ride to the coast, and this year the Raid will be heading to the Riverside Tearooms on the quay at Orford.
After complimentary coffee to wake you up, this 95 mile ride leaves the club room at 06:00 sharp. We head for the coast and a hearty breakfast, before splitting into different pace groups for the run back to Bury. New for 2017 is a pub stop at the end of the ride (so you can re-hydrate before heading home for a well earned nap!)
Places are strictly limited and fill up quickly so email email@example.com to book your place. First come, first served!
A weekend of riding in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. Usually in no frills, low budget “bunk barn” accommodation, with a group pub dinner on Saturday night and three guided routes through some of the best cycling country there is.
Friday 18th – Sunday 20th August 2017 – Dales Bike Centre, Reeth, North Yorkshire DL11 6AW
- Friday Prologue:
- A 20 mile loop for early arrivals who can get out of work/domestic duties for the day
- Stay at the Dales Bike Centre
- Clean, comfortable and friendly
- 14 bunks (2x 4 bed, 3x 2 bed)
- On site cafe and bike shop
- 24 hour cake access!
- B&B Accommodation is available in nearby Reeth for those who don’t fancy the Bunk Barn (click here for B&B list)
- Saturday Ride:
- B-Group ~60 miles of stunning Dales scenery and testing climbs
- A-Group ~80 miles for those wanting more of those testy climbs
- Saturday Night group meal in local pub
- Sunday Ride:
- Another beautiful route from Reeth, but perhaps less demanding for tired legs
- Depart for Bury St Edmunds approx 4pm
If all that doesn’t whet your appetite, then take a look at this video!
If anyone wants to bring their mountain bike, Stu, owner of the Dales Bike Centre, would be really happy to suggest routes to get you to the best trails
Where possible we will car share to minimise travel costs so budget ~£15 to £30 each for fuel
Local B&Bs range from £30-£50 per person/per night. A Reeth B&B list is available here